State of emergency has been extended for 2 months from 24 December until 21 February 2016. Further attacks remain highly likely, including against foreigners. Security forces are on a high state of alert in Tunis and other locations. You should be especially vigilant and avoid crowded places over the holiday period, including around Mouled (24 December), Christmas and New Year.
If you choose to travel to or remain in Tunisia then you should check that your insurance policy provides adequate cover. You should be especially vigilant and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities.
There are no direct flights between the UK and Monastir or Enfidah airports. There are daily Tunis Air flights from Tunis Carthage airport direct to London, and indirect daily departures with European carriers. Contact your airline or travel company directly if you have an enquiry about your travel plans.
If you need consular assistance (above and beyond travel information) you should contact the British Embassy in Tunis.
The Tunisian presidency announced on 22 December 2015 that the state of emergency imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November would be extended for a further 2 months from 24 December until 21 February 2016.
The threat from terrorism in Tunisia is high. Further attacks remain highly likely, including against foreigners. Security forces are on a high state of alert in Tunis and other locations. You should be especially vigilant over the holiday period, including around Mouled (24 December), Christmas and New Year. Avoid crowded places and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities and your travel company, if you have one.
A terrorist attack took place at Port El Kantaoui near Sousse on 26 June. Thirty eight foreign tourists were killed, including 30 British nationals. Further terrorist attacks are highly likely, including in tourist resorts, and by individuals unknown to the authorities whose actions may be inspired by terrorist groups via social media. On 17 November the Tunisian authorities announced they had foiled a major plot to attack ‘hotels and vital installations’ in Sousse. On 24 November a number of security personnel were killed in a suicide attack on a police bus on Avenue Mohammed V in central Tunis. A state of emergency was declared for 30 days from 24 November 2015.
Since the attack in Sousse, we have been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups in Tunisia. Although we have had good co-operation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely. On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for British tourists in Tunisia at the present time.
On 8 July, the Tunisian Prime Minister stated publicly that further attacks were likely. The Tunisian authorities have increased their security measures but have also acknowledged the limitations in their ability to counter the current terrorist threat.
Take out comprehensive travel and international private medical insurance before travelling to Tunisia, to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad or emergency repatriation and evacuation. Be sure to read the small print of all iPMI policies before you purchase.
- SGI Launches European Health Cash Plan
- HR Directors Report Rising Demand From Overseas Employees For iPMI Cover Over Past 5 Years
- ALC Health Appoints Colin Kirkpatrick as Managing Director Designate
- International Medical Group Demonstrates Commitment To UAE By Obtaining Consultancy License, Opening Office In Dubai
- MedAire And Aerosafety In-Flight Medical Kit Receive Both ANVISA And ANAC Certification
- Burns & Wilcox Adds Top Executive to High-Net-Worth Practice
- Vista Launches VTO, Providing High-end Health Care Services To High Net-worth Individuals In China
- High-Net-Worth Individuals Worry About Underinsurance And Look For Service Excellence
- Providing iPMI To High Net Worth Individuals
- Video: Tom Wilkinson CEO of AXA’s Global Healthcare Business Talks About Developing Global Talent
- Cigna Acquires Zurich Insurance Middle East
- International Private Medical Insurance Claims For Depression Rise
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Tom Wilkinson, CEO of AXA’s Global Healthcare Business
- Global Benefits Group And AXA Announce Global Strategic Partnership To Foster GBG’s Growth On The IPMI Market
- Protecting Your Staff Who Work Or Live Abroad With Nugent Santé
- What Are The Benefits For Global Brokers, Agents And Intermediaries If They Add International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) To Their Insurance Product Portfolio?
- From A Brokers Perspective The International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Market Is An Opportunity Ready To Be Taken
- The Benefits Of Providing IPMI To Global Brokers & Agents
- FREE PDF DOWNLOAD: Reworking Duty of Care with Chubb
- The Increasing Importance Of International Private Medical Insurance For Students In The UK
Latest from International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Magazine
- Allianz Suisse To Acquire DAS Switzerland
- Allianz Invests $59 Million In Strategic Partnership With American Well® To Address Global Health Challenges
- Aetna International Enters Agreement With Aviva UK For International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI)
- Aviva Withdraws From IPMI Market
- AXIS Insurance Promotes Nicole Lim To Deputy Chief Underwriting Officer, Singapore
- New Pacific Prime Report Provides Snapshot Into The Global State Of Health Insurance
- Tenet Issues Information On Financial Implications Of Changes To USA Federal Tax Law
- A.M. Best Affirms Credit Ratings Of Prudential Financial, Inc. And Its Subsidiaries
- Omani Expatriates Run For Coverage
- Qatar Re Acquires Markerstudy Group Insurance Companies
- The World’s Largest Insurers
- 2017: A Year Of High Insured Losses
- SCOR Completes Acquisition Of MutRé
- Global Medical Costs Expected To Increase In 2018 As Local Rates Of Inflation Rise
- U.S. Employers Say Recent Acquisition Announcements Likely to Impact Future Health Care Strategies
- Growing Stability Prompts Revision Of U.S. Health Insurance Industry Outlook To Stable
- A.M. Best Affirms A Rating Of Qatar Insurance Company And Its Main Subsidiaries
- The Bank Of England’s Approach To The Authorisation And Supervision Of International Banks, Insurers And Central Counterparties
- Lloyd's Welcomes Bank Of England Approach To The Supervision Of International Insurers
- iPMI Magazine 2017 Industry Insights: December 2017
- Allianz And LV= Complete Joint Venture And Strategic Partnership
- Risk Trends 2018
- QBE Agrees Class Action Settlement
- AXA To Sell Its Swiss Privilege Franchise In Hong Kong (AXA Wealth Management (HK) Ltd)
- Bupa Calls For Health Insurance Comparator Site Transparency
- Global Reinsurance Market Weathers One Of The Worst Loss Years On Record
- Hiscox Appoints Director Of Underwriting For Its London Reinsurance Business
- Milestone In Cancer Health Insurance Cover Dubai
- Dubai Health Authority Calls On Individual Sponsors And Company Owners To Renew Employees’ Health Insurance To Avoid Fines
- Starr Companies Announces Cooperation With PICC Health To Provide Insurance To Chinese Company Employees Working In The Belt & Road Initiative Countries