Cancer Essentials from Aviva is the first in a range of low-cost insurances designed to provide medical, financial and emotional support on diagnosis of specific conditions, and to complement treatment customers receive through NHS health services.
The Essentials range will sit alongside Aviva’s Private Medical Insurance, and signals a new direction in Aviva’s approach to health insurance in the UK, aiming to provide cover for all budgets and across all life stages.
Dr Doug Wright, Medical Director for Aviva Health comments, “The NHS does a brilliant job of offering an extensive range of cancer services but financial pressures mean it simply cannot fund every cancer drug that is available. That’s where Aviva is stepping in. For a low monthly cost, customers have the peace of mind of knowing that if diagnosed with cancer, they will benefit from being able to access up to £100,000 worth of additional cancer drugs and treatments, should these by requested by the customer’s NHS specialist. In addition, customers diagnosed with cancer will immediately have access to high quality medical advice and support, provided by GPs and nurse advisers over the phone, as often as they need it. We recognise how devastating a diagnosis of cancer can be, and how crucial it is to be able to access the right information and emotional support, at a time that suits the individual. Cancer Essentials is the first in a number of innovative new top-up health insurance products Aviva has planned over 2016 and beyond, targeting customers’ specific health needs.”
Cancer Essentials provides support for adults on diagnosis of cancer. Recent research from Aviva shows that British adults are more worried about being diagnosed with cancer than any other serious disease1, including dementia/Alzheimer’s, heart disease or stroke.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as the disease will affect one in two people born in the UK after 19602. Internal data from the insurer shows that cancer is the single most common cause of critical illness claims, further highlighting the prevalence of a disease which can have a devastating impact on families.
Cancer Essentials cover includes:
- Up to £100,000 towards the cost of non-NHS funded cancer drugs, on request from the customer’s NHS specialist.
- A £5,000 cash sum payable on the diagnosis of cancer, to help with immediate everyday costs.
- 24/7 access to a GP Helpline.
- Access to online and phone based support from a team of personal nurse advisers.
The insurance is priced according to the age of the individual and whether or not they smoke. For example, a 50 year old would typically pay between £5 and £8 per month.
New and existing Aviva customers can request a quote and apply for cover direct via Aviva’s website. Customers can view their policy documentation at any time via a secure online portal. Claims can also be made online, making the customer experience fast, simple and efficient.
1 Online survey conducted by ICM research for Aviva UK Health. The survey was carried out in December 2015. Respondents were invited from ICM’s online panel and 2,004 interviews were conducted amongst a nationally representative sample of the British adult population.
2 British Journal of Cancer http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v112/n5/full/bjc2014606a.html
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- iPMIM Advertisers Save Over 55% On New iPMI Report - Subscribers Save Over 45%
- ABTA Estimates Over 90,000 Jobs* Already Affected In UK Travel And Wider Industry
- 90% Of Countries Report Disruptions To Essential Health Services Since Covid-19 Pandemic
- Sluggish Improvement In Passenger Demand Continues
- Healix International Announces SAP Concur Partnership To Help Employers Locate And Communicate With Employees During Critical Incidents