State of emergency has been extended for 2 months from 24 December until 21 February 2016. Further attacks remain highly likely, including against foreigners. Security forces are on a high state of alert in Tunis and other locations. You should be especially vigilant and avoid crowded places over the holiday period, including around Mouled (24 December), Christmas and New Year.
If you choose to travel to or remain in Tunisia then you should check that your insurance policy provides adequate cover. You should be especially vigilant and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities.
There are no direct flights between the UK and Monastir or Enfidah airports. There are daily Tunis Air flights from Tunis Carthage airport direct to London, and indirect daily departures with European carriers. Contact your airline or travel company directly if you have an enquiry about your travel plans.
If you need consular assistance (above and beyond travel information) you should contact the British Embassy in Tunis.
The Tunisian presidency announced on 22 December 2015 that the state of emergency imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November would be extended for a further 2 months from 24 December until 21 February 2016.
The threat from terrorism in Tunisia is high. Further attacks remain highly likely, including against foreigners. Security forces are on a high state of alert in Tunis and other locations. You should be especially vigilant over the holiday period, including around Mouled (24 December), Christmas and New Year. Avoid crowded places and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities and your travel company, if you have one.
A terrorist attack took place at Port El Kantaoui near Sousse on 26 June. Thirty eight foreign tourists were killed, including 30 British nationals. Further terrorist attacks are highly likely, including in tourist resorts, and by individuals unknown to the authorities whose actions may be inspired by terrorist groups via social media. On 17 November the Tunisian authorities announced they had foiled a major plot to attack ‘hotels and vital installations’ in Sousse. On 24 November a number of security personnel were killed in a suicide attack on a police bus on Avenue Mohammed V in central Tunis. A state of emergency was declared for 30 days from 24 November 2015.
Since the attack in Sousse, we have been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups in Tunisia. Although we have had good co-operation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely. On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for British tourists in Tunisia at the present time.
On 8 July, the Tunisian Prime Minister stated publicly that further attacks were likely. The Tunisian authorities have increased their security measures but have also acknowledged the limitations in their ability to counter the current terrorist threat.
Take out comprehensive travel and international private medical insurance before travelling to Tunisia, to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad or emergency repatriation and evacuation. Be sure to read the small print of all iPMI policies before you purchase.
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Jerome Droesch, CEO, Cigna, MENA
- Sheldon Kenton Appointed President And CEO Of IPMI Leader GeoBlue
- International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Policy Designed To Meet The Needs Of Expatriates Living In France Pre And Post BREXIT
- International Health Insurer Allianz Care Announces Appointments For Qatar And Germany
- International Medical Group WorldAware Team Up to Assist Customers and Clients
- Save 25% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory - Black Friday Sale Starts Now
- 24 Hours Left - Save 25% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory - OFFER ENDS 23RD Oct 2018
- Save 25% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory*
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory October 2018
- Now Health International Launches New Digital IPMI Product To Cater For The Next Generation Of Expatriate
- UnitedHealthcare Global Launch New International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Product
- Cigna Opens New Global Sales Centre For Global Individual Private Medical Insurance Business At Dubai International Financial Centre
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory September 2018
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory August 2018
- Expanding UK Based DoctorCall Becomes An International Assistance Group Accredited Service Provider
- IPMI, Assistance, Air Ambulance, Cost Containment And Claims Management, Funeral Directors, Ground Ambulance, Healthcare Insurance Management, Pharmacy Benefits Management
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory July 2018
- SAVE 33% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory*
- William Russell Ltd Appoints Over Twenty Years’ Of IPMI Experience
- iPMI Magazine International Private Medical Insurance Provider Network Directory April 2018
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- Speakers Announced For AMII AGM
- Airlec Ambulance Appoints Dr. Cyrille Montesinos As Medical Director
- Airlec Air Ambulance
- APRIL International Care UK Appoints New Business Development Manager
- A Third Of Expats In The UK Are Worried About Domestic Politics
- MSH International Boosts Its Global Expansion With New Health And Travel Insurance Products And Services
- CEGA's Medical Screening Solution Attracts Millstream Underwriting
- What’s Shaping The Assistance Needs Of The Globally Mobile?
- ECMO Repatriation On The Air Alliance Challenger 604
- BIBA Welcomes FCA’s Update On Improving Access To Travel Insurance For People With Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
- AIG Appoints Kathleen Zortman as President & Chief Executive Officer of Private Client Group, General Insurance
- TAT Continues “Thailand Travel Shield” Insurance Project
- AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of National General Insurance Company (P.S.C.)
- Claims Management Companies Enter FCA Regulation
- International Health Insurance 2019: The Definitive iPMI Market Report
- Starr Insurance Companies Taps Carmella Capitano To Lead Primary General Casualty-Risk Management
- FINEOS AdminSuite Core Platform In Production With Tier 1 US Group And Voluntary Benefits Carrier
- Brexit, The EU & IPT – AMII Chair Announces Key Themes For AGM
- Download Company e-Directory: iPMI - Assistance - Air Ambulance - Funeral Directors - Cost Containment - Claims Management + MORE
- AXA Global Healthcare Launches International Health Insurance Foundation Cover Level
- Video: Paul Tidy COO Explains How Generali Global Health Works With Group And External Partners
- 2019 Starts On A Positive Note For Passenger Demand
- Lloyd’s Reports Aggregated Market Results For 2018
- SOS International Publishes Annual Results For 2018
- China Exposes Hospitals Involved In Medical Insurance Fraud
- UAE Cabinet Approves New Provisions For Sponsoring Expat Family Members
- Marsh & Mclennan Completes Acquisition Of Jardine Lloyd Thompson
- Established UAE Takaful Company Reports Significant Increase In Its Top-Line
- China Issues Foreign Investment Law: Guangxi Takes Initiative In Global Investment Promotion
- Healix International Offers Guidance For Employers With LGBT Employees Travelling To And Working In Brunei