State of emergency has been extended for 2 months from 24 December until 21 February 2016. Further attacks remain highly likely, including against foreigners. Security forces are on a high state of alert in Tunis and other locations. You should be especially vigilant and avoid crowded places over the holiday period, including around Mouled (24 December), Christmas and New Year.
If you choose to travel to or remain in Tunisia then you should check that your insurance policy provides adequate cover. You should be especially vigilant and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities.
There are no direct flights between the UK and Monastir or Enfidah airports. There are daily Tunis Air flights from Tunis Carthage airport direct to London, and indirect daily departures with European carriers. Contact your airline or travel company directly if you have an enquiry about your travel plans.
If you need consular assistance (above and beyond travel information) you should contact the British Embassy in Tunis.
The Tunisian presidency announced on 22 December 2015 that the state of emergency imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November would be extended for a further 2 months from 24 December until 21 February 2016.
The threat from terrorism in Tunisia is high. Further attacks remain highly likely, including against foreigners. Security forces are on a high state of alert in Tunis and other locations. You should be especially vigilant over the holiday period, including around Mouled (24 December), Christmas and New Year. Avoid crowded places and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities and your travel company, if you have one.
A terrorist attack took place at Port El Kantaoui near Sousse on 26 June. Thirty eight foreign tourists were killed, including 30 British nationals. Further terrorist attacks are highly likely, including in tourist resorts, and by individuals unknown to the authorities whose actions may be inspired by terrorist groups via social media. On 17 November the Tunisian authorities announced they had foiled a major plot to attack ‘hotels and vital installations’ in Sousse. On 24 November a number of security personnel were killed in a suicide attack on a police bus on Avenue Mohammed V in central Tunis. A state of emergency was declared for 30 days from 24 November 2015.
Since the attack in Sousse, we have been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups in Tunisia. Although we have had good co-operation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely. On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for British tourists in Tunisia at the present time.
On 8 July, the Tunisian Prime Minister stated publicly that further attacks were likely. The Tunisian authorities have increased their security measures but have also acknowledged the limitations in their ability to counter the current terrorist threat.
Take out comprehensive travel and international private medical insurance before travelling to Tunisia, to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad or emergency repatriation and evacuation. Be sure to read the small print of all iPMI policies before you purchase.
- Sheldon Kenton Appointed President And CEO Of IPMI Leader GeoBlue
- International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Policy Designed To Meet The Needs Of Expatriates Living In France Pre And Post BREXIT
- International Health Insurer Allianz Care Announces Appointments For Qatar And Germany
- International Medical Group WorldAware Team Up to Assist Customers and Clients
- Save 25% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory - Black Friday Sale Starts Now
- 24 Hours Left - Save 25% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory - OFFER ENDS 23RD Oct 2018
- Save 25% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory*
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory October 2018
- Now Health International Launches New Digital IPMI Product To Cater For The Next Generation Of Expatriate
- UnitedHealthcare Global Launch New International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Product
- Cigna Opens New Global Sales Centre For Global Individual Private Medical Insurance Business At Dubai International Financial Centre
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory September 2018
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory August 2018
- Expanding UK Based DoctorCall Becomes An International Assistance Group Accredited Service Provider
- IPMI, Assistance, Air Ambulance, Cost Containment And Claims Management, Funeral Directors, Ground Ambulance, Healthcare Insurance Management, Pharmacy Benefits Management
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory July 2018
- SAVE 33% When You Join iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory*
- William Russell Ltd Appoints Over Twenty Years’ Of IPMI Experience
- iPMI Magazine International Private Medical Insurance Provider Network Directory April 2018
- iPMI Upgrade For SMEs
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- FAI Welcomes Seventh Global Express
- Warning Against Fake Anti-Rabies Vaccine In The Philippines
- SOS International: Be Careful When Relying On The Blue European Health Insurance Card In Spain
- International SOS And Chinese Enterprise Association (SINGAPORE) Sign A Partnership Agreement
- Allianz X Increases Fund Size To €1 Billion
- Business Investment In Mental Health Outweighs The Cost: The Health Insurance Group Urges Businesses To Review Their Mental Health Support
- FCA publishes Wholesale Insurance Brokers Market Study Final Report
- VIDEO: Paul Tidy COO Introduces Generali Global Health's Digital Services
- Profits Continue To Rise For National Insurers In The United Arab Emirates
- VIDEO: Generali Global Health's Claim Process Explained
- Learn All About Digital Marketing In The iPMI Market - Download New iPMI Magazine Media Kit 2019
- The Health Insurance Group Becomes A Member Of GBN Worldwide
- Underinsured Rate Rose From 2014-2018, With Greatest Growth Among People in Employer Health Plans
- Flybmi Announces That It Has Ceased Operations And Is Filing For Administration
- Allianz Delivers As Promised - Full Year and Quarterly Earnings Release 2018
- Aegon Reports 2nd Half 2018 Results
- AM Best Upgrades Issuer Credit Rating Of MAPFRE Panamá S.A.
- AIG Reports Fourth Quarter 2018 Results
- Healix International Signs Up To UN Global Compact
- New iPMI Magazine Entry Level Digital Marketing Program Makes iPMI Market Entry Affordable To All
- Top 5 Cost Containment Risks For Insurers In Nepal
- Allianz Receives CBIRC Approval For Preparatory Establishment Of China’s First Fully-Owned Foreign Insurance Holding Company
- Healix Health Services Mental Health And Wellbeing White Paper Helps Brokers Guide Employers’ Mental Health Strategies
- Collinson Named In The Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200 For 2nd Year Running
- Collinson Appoints New Global Medical Director
- Healthy Passenger Demand Continues in 2018 With Another Record Load Factor
- AXIS Re Announces Daniel Osterrieder As North America Account Executive For AXIS Re Strategic Partners
- Generali Global Assistance Acquires Travel Insurance Provider Trip Mate From Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- AM Best Upgrades Issuer Credit Ratings Of The Main Operating Subsidiaries Of Nagico Holdings Limited
- US Niche Insurance: Market Dynamics, Affinities And Partnerships