Falmouth Coastguard has been assisting a cargo vessel which had six people on board and began sinking 12 miles east of the Lizard this morning.
Lizard and Falmouth RNLI Lifeboats and a rescue helicopter from RNAS Culdrose attempted to pump water out of vessel, the 'Sea Breeze', with their own pumps. Other merchant vessels, who heard the mayday relay broadcast from Falmouth Coastguard, also stood by in case they were required.
The Sea Breeze is an 87-metre Barbados flagged cargo vessel with six crew onboard. It is carrying 2,750 tons of limestone and was bound for Shoreham at the time of the incident.
Alex Greig, Falmouth Coastguard Watch Manager says, "We received the mayday broadcast from the 'Sea Breeze' at 7.00 am and were able to get lifeboats and the helicopter on scene quickly, along with other vessels that were in the vicinity. The lifeboats and helicopter pumped water off the cargo vessel, whilst HMS Tyne was on its way with commercial pumps. However, unfortunately, the smaller pumps could not keep up with the ingress of water and the crew had to abandon ship at 8.40 am. Five of the crew are now safely ashore. A couple of them have minor injuries. The captain has remained on scene on board HMS Tyne to help with the salvage operation."
- iPMI Magazine Round Table: International Medical Cost Containment Strategies 2022
- Allianz Partners Announces Enhanced International Health Insurance Options For Customers
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Michael Nole, Executive Vice President Sales And Marketing At World Travel Protection
- Xavier Lestrade Appointed CEO Of AXA Global Healthcare
- Why AXA Leaving The Middle East Is A Big Deal
- HDI Global Specialty Enters International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Market With Generali Hire
- iPMI Magazine Speaks with Global Excel Indonesia’s Steven Om on Brand-New Hospital Express Discharge Program
- Healthcare International (HCI) Announces Management Buyout Backed By Prefequity
- Bupa Announces Appointment Of James Lenton As Group CFO
- ROUND TABLE: International Medical Cost Containment Strategies 2021
- Global Excel Achieves SOC 1 & 2 Type I Certification
- Uncertainty About The Future And Finances Leading Causes Of Stress, Cigna Study Reveals
- Healix Sentinel Enables Businesses To Get People Moving Again
- UAE Embraces Telehealth In COVID-19 Battle
- Aetna International Appoints Martyn Swann As New SME Sales Director
- AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings Of Allianz México, S.A., Compañía de Seguros
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Mary-Jo McDonald, Managing Director, Europe, Global Excel Management
- Traveler Survey Reveals COVID-19 Concerns
- 'COVID Travel Safe' Online Tool Set To Help Employers Resume Business Critical Travel Safely
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Janette Hiscock, CEO Of Global Solutions Europe, United Healthcare Global
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Eithan Wolf, CEO, PassportCard Germany
- HCI Group Launches New Modular iPMI Plan, NIMBL Health
- APRIL International Maintains Top IPMI Service Rating For 2nd Consecutive Year
- Allianz Partners Continues Growth Trajectory Driven By Travel Rebound
- Allianz Partners Enhances Health Business With New Appointments