Aviva: Announcement Of UK Life Senior Management Appointments
- Written by iPMI Magazine
- font size decrease font size increase font size
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) announces the following senior appointments subject to the completion of the all-share acquisition of Friends Life by Aviva.
This announcement follows Aviva and Friends Life shareholders’ approval of the transaction on 26 March 2015. It is expected that, if the Guernsey Court sanctions the Scheme on 10 April 2015, the transaction will complete on 13 April 2015.
Aviva announced in December that Andy Briggs, the current CEO of Friends Life, will become CEO of the enlarged Aviva UK & Ireland Life business*.
David Barral, the current CEO of Aviva UK&I Life, will be leaving the Group at the end of May. Whilst we have been working with David to identify potential options to retain him within the Group, he has decided that now is the right time to move on with the next stage of his career.
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, said, “I would like to thank David for his distinguished service to the Group. David has had a successful career with Aviva spanning 16 years. Over the last three years, David has been a member of the Group Executive and has been a great partner during Aviva’s turnaround. We all wish him well as he pursues the next chapter.”
UK & Ireland Life leadership team:
John Lister, CFO UK & Ireland Life and Group Business Development Officer*: Because of the significance of the UK Life business to the Group, John will move from his role as Aviva’s Group Chief Risk Officer to lead the finance function in the UK&I Life business. John will also retain a Group remit in Business Development, supporting Tom Stoddard, Group CFO. John will continue to be a member of the Group Executive. This appointment would be effective from 1 July 2015 to ensure a smooth transition of responsibilities.
Other senior appointments include:
- Clive Bolton, MD Retirement
- Andy Curran, MD Corporate and Business Solutions
- Rob Barker, MD Strategic Partners and Protection
- Stephen Shone, MD Aviva Plus
- Jonathan Moss, combined capital planning
- Rosie Harris, Chief Risk and Compliance Officer
- Kevin Moss, Chief Operating Officer
- James Ward, Strategy Director
- Ceri Connolly, Acting HR Director
- Kim Clarke, HR Integration Director
- Rob Houghton, UK CIO
Andy Briggs said, "The UK Life senior management team we have announced today has the experience and ambition to make the most of the considerable opportunities in the vibrant UK life and pensions sector.”
Other group appointments
Following on from these appointments, there are a number of other changes across the Group that will take effect when the deal is completed:
- Angela Darlington, Group Chief Risk Officer*: Angela will move from her role of CRO of Aviva’s UK&I Life business to lead the Risk function at Group level. Angela will join the Group Executive and report to Mark Wilson. This appointment will be effective from 1 July 2015.
- Clifford Abrahams, CFO Aviva Investors*: Clifford will move from his role as CFO of Aviva’s UK&I Life business to lead the finance function in Aviva Investors. Clifford is in an ideal position to take on this role given the breadth of his experience across GI, Life and investment banking. This appointment will also be effective from 1 July 2015. Patrick Neville, the current CFO of Aviva Investors will leave the organisation and Aviva would like to thank Patrick for his contribution.
- John Van Der Wielen, Executive Chairman of Friends Provident International, which provides savings, investment and protection products for expatriates and local nationals in Asia and the Middle East, will report to Chris Wei from 13 April 2015 to support the early stages of the integration. As previously agreed, John will be leaving the Group on 1 July 2015.
Further information on the UK Life senior management appointments:
- Clive Bolton, MD Retirement: Clive, currently the MD for Retirement Solutions at Aviva, will become responsible for the combined retirement business as we continue to meet our customers’ needs following the UK budget changes.
- Andy Curran, MD Corporate and Business Solutions: Andy, currently UK CEO for Friends Life, will be responsible for the combined corporate and business propositions. This includes all business to business and Employee Benefit Consultant relationships and will lead on Group Pensions, Bulk Purchase Annuities and Group Risk activity.
- Rob Barker, MD Strategic Partners and Protection: Rob, currently Strategic Partnerships Director for Aviva, will take on the combined Strategic Partnerships business across UK&I Life and GI, and the coordination of IFAs and key accounts across the combined Life organisation. Individual protection business will also report through this role and Louise Colley, currently Aviva’s UK Life Protection Director, will become the Protection Director for the combined individual protection book.
- Stephen Shone, MD Aviva Plus: Stephen, currently MD of Aviva Plus, will look after the enlarged UK Life business closed product lines.
- Jonathan Moss, currently CEO Heritage at Friends Life, will work with Andy Briggs and John Lister, utilising his expertise to develop the combined capital management plan for the enlarged UK Life business.
- Rosie Harris, Chief Risk and Compliance Officer: Rosie, currently Group CRO for Friends Life, will lead the enlarged UK&I Life Risk and Compliance area.
- Kevin Moss, Chief Operating Officer: Kevin will become the COO of the enlarged UK Life business, and will continue to lead the integration of the two Life companies. Given our desire to move at pace with the integration, Rob Barnett, currently COO for Friends Life, will stay on for six months after which he will leave the business. Rob has made a significant contribution to the Friends Life organisation and most recently supported the integration planning and delivery.
- James Ward, Strategy Director: James, currently Group Strategy Director for Friends Life, will be responsible for the development of combined UK Life strategy and the Life external communications team.
- Ceri Connolly, Acting HR Director UK & Ireland Life: Ceri, the current HR Director for Aviva’s UK Life business, will be the acting HR Director responsible for HR and internal communications in the enlarged Life business.
- Kim Clarke, HR Integration Director: Kim, the current Group HR Director at Friends Life, will lead the HR stream for the global integration delivery.
- Rob Houghton, UK CIO: Rob, currently Aviva’s UK CIO, will continue supporting both the UK GI and UK Life businesses with a specific focus on the IT plans for the combined Life business while we map out the longer term UK Life transformation agenda.
* Appointment subject to regulatory approval.
- iPMI Magazine Round Table: International Medical Cost Containment Strategies 2022
- Allianz Partners Announces Enhanced International Health Insurance Options For Customers
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Michael Nole, Executive Vice President Sales And Marketing At World Travel Protection
- Xavier Lestrade Appointed CEO Of AXA Global Healthcare
- Why AXA Leaving The Middle East Is A Big Deal
- iPMI Magazine Speaks with Global Excel Indonesia’s Steven Om on Brand-New Hospital Express Discharge Program
- Healthcare International (HCI) Announces Management Buyout Backed By Prefequity
- Bupa Announces Appointment Of James Lenton As Group CFO
- Global Excel Achieves SOC 1 & 2 Type I Certification
- Uncertainty About The Future And Finances Leading Causes Of Stress, Cigna Study Reveals
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Eithan Wolf, CEO, PassportCard Germany
- HCI Group Launches New Modular iPMI Plan, NIMBL Health
- APRIL International Maintains Top IPMI Service Rating For 2nd Consecutive Year
- Allianz Partners Continues Growth Trajectory Driven By Travel Rebound
- Allianz Partners Enhances Health Business With New Appointments