John Hancock has announced it is expanding its Apple Watch program to all new and existing John Hancock Vitality life insurance policyholders. The program gives customers the opportunity to earn the Apple Watch Series 3 for an initial fee of $25 through regular exercise. Now, in addition to permanent life insurance buyers, the 4 million Americans who buy lower-cost term life insurance every year will have the opportunity to protect their financial future for less than $15/month1, while earning an Apple Watch Series 3.
"John Hancock is the first and only U.S. life insurance company to offer life insurance buyers the opportunity to earn an Apple Watch through regular exercise. We are proud to be the driving force of innovation in life insurance by integrating a technology-based wellness program (powered by Vitality) with life insurance, to motivate consumers to protect their financial future and live a healthy life," said Brooks Tingle, senior vice president, marketing and strategy, John Hancock Insurance. "The addition of the Apple Watch program to our John Hancock Vitality solution over the past year has already resulted in an increase in participating customers' activities and engagement as compared to others in our program. We're excited to expand the offer of the Apple Watch Series 3 to all of our John Hancock Vitality customers."
Through the first-of-its-kind John Hancock Vitality program, launched in 2015, customers can earn rewards and premium savings of up to 15 percent for the things they do to stay healthy, like exercising, walking and eating right. Rewards include $600 in annual savings2 on healthy food purchases as well as gift cards and discounts on entertainment, travel and wellness-related purchases. In 2016, the company introduced customers to the opportunity to select an Apple Watch (for an initial $25 fee)3 to record their activities and earn points that reduce or eliminate their monthly payments for their watch over a two-year period.
Since then, John Hancock Vitality members have embraced the Apple Watch:4
- using it 6 out of 7 days a week
- increasing their step count by an average of 2,000 steps per day after enrolling in the program
- showing a 20 percent increase in weekly physical activities after getting their Apple Watch
- about half of them are paying $0 each month (i.e. fully funding their watch) by achieving their monthly activity goals
"Customers of all kinds are signing up for the Apple Watch program, from those less healthy to those who are extremely fit," added Tingle. "Apple Watch appears to inspire increases in physical activity across all our customers, with the highest increases among those least healthy when they begin."
"Whether they prefer walking, biking, swimming or any other kind of exercise, John Hancock Vitality participants are reaping rewards that benefit both their health and their wallets," said Tal Gilbert, CEO Vitality Group USA. "We're encouraged to see how John Hancock Vitality customers are making health and fitness a priority, living life to its fullest and taking advantage of the program to improve the quality of their lives. We know that active people are likely to live longer— it's great to be able to help them do just that."
The Apple Watch program will be available on all John Hancock Vitality life insurance products beginning next month. Prospective participants can get more information about the program directly at JHRewardsLife.com or by connecting with a financial advisor.
Today, the Canadian Division of Manulife, John Hancock's parent company, also announced its launch of the new Manulife Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch program. The program motivates members to get more active by offering them the opportunity to earn a new Apple Watch when they meet physical activity targets through their insurance contract. Manulife introduced the Vitality program to Canadians in 2016 and this is their latest enhancement.
1. Varies based on age, amount of coverage, underwriting status and term period selected.
2. HealthyFood savings are based on qualifying purchases and may vary based on the terms of the John Hancock Vitality program.
3. Apple Watch Series 3 can be ordered for an initial payment of $25 plus tax and over the next two years, monthly payments are based on the number of workouts completed. The Retail Installment Agreement with the Vitality Group will need to be signed electronically at checkout. Upgrade fees apply if you choose Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), certain bands and case materials. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later.
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and iPhone service provider must be the same. Cellular is not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details. Check www.apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.
Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion. Apple Watch is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Please note: Apple Watch program is not available in New York. Apple Watch Series 3 is only available to John Hancock Vitality members who have not previously ordered an Apple Watch through the program.
4. Based on John Hancock Vitality member experience since November 2016.
Insurance policies and/or associated riders and features may not be available in all states.
Premium savings are in comparison to the same John Hancock policy without the Vitality program. Annual premium savings will vary based upon policy type, the terms of the policy, and the level of the insured's participation in the John Hancock Vitality program.
Vitality is the provider of the John Hancock Vitality Program in connection with policies issued by John Hancock.
John Hancock Vitality Program rewards and discounts are only available to the person insured under the eligible life insurance policy.
Rewards and discounts are subject to change and are not guaranteed to remain the same for the life of the policy.
Insurance products are issued by John Hancock Life Insurance Company (U.S.A.), Boston, MA 02210 (not licensed in New York) and John Hancock Life Insurance Company of New York, Valhalla, NY 10595. MLINY101317072
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- Bupa Cromwell Hospital Opens New Paediatric Outpatient Department
- Dubai Health Authority Launches Year Of Zayed Insurance Card Project
- Bupa Completes Acquisition Of Turkey’s 2nd Largest Health Insurer
- Mandatory Health Insurance System To Be Applied In All Azerbaijani Hospitals
- Don’t Forget Your Green Card - British Insurers Issue Advice To Customers On No-Deal Brexit