Aviva plc has announced the acquisition of VietinBank’s entire 50% shareholding in its life insurance joint venture VietinBank Aviva Life Insurance Limited and signing of a new distribution agreement with VietinBank to sell life and health insurance products through VietinBank’s network of over 1,100 branches, the second-largest in the market.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital, said, “With Aviva’s insurance and digital expertise and a strong partnership with a leading bank, we are optimistic about our growth prospects in Vietnam. We have developed a deep and successful relationship with VietinBank and will continue to build on our strong foundations.”
As a result of the transaction, Aviva Vietnam is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Aviva with a key focus on growing the business across all key distribution channels. This move also simplifies Aviva’s operating structure in the region. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions including regulatory approvals.
Aviva Vietnam was founded in 2011 and has since built a strong presence in the market, becoming a top ten life insurer by premium. Vietnam is an attractive insurance market with double digit life premium growth in the past three years and one of the world’s lowest life insurance penetration levels, at less than 1% of GDP1. The insurance industry is expected to benefit from the country’s projected GDP growth of more than 6% annually2 over the next three years.
1 Source: Swiss Re, The Vietnamese insurance market, Jan 2017
2 Source: World Bank, Global Economic Prospects, Jan 2017
- The Health Insurance Group Appoints Head Of Proposition Development
- The Health Insurance Group Awarded Mark Of Excellence For Corporate Culture
- Worldwide Medical Treatment Costs November 2016
- Medical Treatment Costs In Asia November 2016
- Medical Treatment Costs In Asia September 2016
- Worldwide Medical Treatment Costs September 2016
- Tokio Marine Life Insurance Singapore And Henner Group Target Globally Mobile Employees With New Care & Health Plan
- Bupa Australia Apologises To Private Health Insurance Customers For Using Incorrect Assessment Process
- Latinos And People With Low Incomes Are Most Likely To Be Uninsured
- International Medical Group Appoints Key Leaders In Europe
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- New Frontier Group Wins Cost Containment And Claims Management Company Of The Year At The 2019 ITIC Awards In Malta
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network e-Directory November 2019: iPMI - Assistance - Air Ambulance - Funeral Directors - Cost Containment - Claims Management + MORE
- New Frontier Group Signs New Agreement With International Assistance Group (IAG) For US Cost Containment
- New Frontier Group
- AXA To Sell AXA Bank Belgium, And Enter Into A Long-Term Insurance Distribution Partnership With Crelan Bank