Bupa, has today announced a strategic global partnership with the Blue Cross Blue Shield system (BCBS), to create the largest global healthcare provider network, including 11,500 hospitals and 750,000 medical professionals in 190 countries.
BCBS is the largest US-based health insurance group, comprising a federation of 37 Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, which combine to form the largest provider network in the US (over 96 per cent of US hospitals). The partnership will combine BCBS’s US network, their existing international network (accessed through their International Private Medical Insurance product, GeoBlue), and Bupa’s non-US international hospital network.
Bupa and BCBS will also develop new international health insurance products, which will be available to customers and employers worldwide for coverage in 2015.
Today’s announcement follows Bupa’s purchase of a 49 per cent stake in Highway to Health, Inc (HTH) in December 2013. A HTH subsidiary sells and administers GeoBlue, the BCBS international health insurance product. A group of BCBS companies own the remaining 51 per cent of HTH.
Robert Lang, Managing Director of the Bupa Global Market Unit, said: “I’m delighted Bupa has joined forces with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield organisations – this is the biggest partnership the international health insurance market has ever seen. We’re creating the biggest global provider network for people who require international health coverage, and we’ll develop new products utilising the leading capabilities from our organisations.”
Scott Serota, CEO of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), said: “Blue Cross Blue Shield and Bupa are two of the most respected names in health care and we will work together to offer the best solution for individuals and organisations by providing access to healthcare around the world. Travellers around the world can now benefit from the security and stability that Blue Cross and Blue Shield members have long relied on.”
Angelo Masciantonio, co-founder and CEO of HTH, said: “It’s tremendous to have two global healthcare industry leaders – Bupa and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield organisations – invest in us to develop and grow GeoBlue. Combining HTH’s leading technologies with the strong Blue Cross Blue Shield and Bupa brands and the breadth of their provider networks creates a compelling, extremely competitive offering in the global international health insurance marketplace.”
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory October 2018
- Now Health International Launches New Digital IPMI Product To Cater For The Next Generation Of Expatriate
- UnitedHealthcare Global Launch New International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Product
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory September 2018
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory August 2018
- iPMI Magazine International Private Medical Insurance Provider Network Directory April 2018
- HR Directors Report Rising Demand From Overseas Employees For iPMI Cover Over Past 5 Years
- International Medical Group Demonstrates Commitment To UAE By Obtaining Consultancy License, Opening Office In Dubai
- Burns & Wilcox Adds Top Executive to High-Net-Worth Practice
- Vista Launches VTO, Providing High-end Health Care Services To High Net-worth Individuals In China
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- The APRIL Group Celebrates 30 Years With Industry Award Nomination And Commitment To IPMI
- Skyservice Air Ambulance International Announces The Opening Of Its New Vancouver Base Of Operations To Enhance Its Service Portfolio
- CEGA And Solace Appointed By Lush For Travel Risk
- Collinson Partners With Hiscox To Soothe Frustrated Travellers With SmartDelay
- Integra Global Launches New Worldwide Member Claims Portal