UnitedHealth Group Incorporated held onto the top spot in A.M. Best’s ranking of the world’s 25 largest insurance companies, as measured by 2016 net premiums written (NPW). AXA S.A. was ranked at No. 2 by NPW, but fell out of the No. 1 ranking by non-banking assets, as Metlife Inc. moved into the top spot.
The rankings of the world’s largest global insurance companies, by NPW and non-banking assets, were released by A.M. Best in the Jan. 1, 2018, issue of BestWeek. The two rankings are based on BestLink data and additional research. Overall, the annual rankings found stability at the top, as four of the top five insurers by NPW and all five of the insurers by assets for 2016 remained from the previous year’s top five rankings.
U.S.-based health insurance carriers and insurers in China dominated the NPW ranking, with three of the top 10 insurers located in China and four health insurers making gains in the ranking. Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Ltd. saw its 2016 premiums rise 25%. China Life Insurance (Group) Company showed a 23% gain and People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China Ltd. gained 14%. While UnitedHealth Group Incorporated maintained its top spot, Anthem Inc., Kaiser Foundation Group of Health Plans, Aetna Inc. and Humana Inc. showed improvement in the NPW ranking.
The top three gainers by 2016 assets were Prudential plc, up 22%; Legal & General Group plc, up 18%; and Life Insurance Corporation of India, up 17%.
The top 10 global insurers ranked by 2016 NPW are:
1. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated, United States
2. AXA S.A., France
3. China Life Insurance (Group) Company, China
4. Anthem, Inc., United States
5. Allianz SE, Germany
6. Kaiser Foundation Group of Health Plans, United States
7. Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., Italy
8. State Farm Group, United States
9. Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Ltd., China
10. People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China Ltd.
The top 10 global insurers ranked by 2016 non-banking assets are:
1. MetLife Inc., United States
2. AXA S.A., France
3. Allianz SE, Germany
4. Prudential Financial Inc., United States
5. Japan Post Insurance Co., Ltd., Japan
6. Nippon Life Insurance Company, Japan
7. Berkshire Hathaway Inc., United States
8. Prudential plc, United Kingdom
9. Legal & General Group plc, United Kingdom
10. Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., Italy
BestWeek is published weekly by A.M. Best for insurance professionals, and is available as part of a subscription to the Best’s Insurance News & Analysis service. More information about the Best’s Insurance News & Analysis subscription service is available at www.ambest.com/sales/bina/default.asp. To order, contact Customer Service at +1 908 439 2200, ext. 5742 or at +1 800 424 2378 when calling from the United States and Canada.
To learn more about BestLink, visit http://www.ambest.com/sales/bestlink
Latest from International Private Medical Insurance (IPMI) Magazine
- iPMI Upgrade For SMEs
- Aetna International Opens Its First Health Clinic In Thailand
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Reg Allatt, CEO, Global Excel Management Inc.
- Aetna International Signs Strategic Partnership Deal With Humanis
- Cigna Launches Unlimited Preventative Dental Care – Offering A Solution To The £105m Annual Cost Of Oral Health Problems In The UK