Over two thirds of globally mobile individuals (72%) are unhappy with the amount of time available to spend with family1, whilst almost a quarter of those (24%) who are single or living alone suffer from loneliness2, reveals a study by health insurer Cigna.
The Cigna 360° Wellbeing Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals found that people working overseas worry more about their own and their families’ health and wellness than those who reside in their home country. Over three quarters (76%) reported they cannot adequately take care of their children’s various needs and wellbeing3, whilst worries about their dependents’ education is intensified by the lack of a family support network.
Less than half (42%) felt their employer offered adequate “duty of care” to them6, with 40% not in receipt of any medical benefits by their company7. All globally mobile individuals (100%) subsequently worried about illness, with cancer and the fear of accidents the main triggers, followed by mental illness, including depression8.
“Whilst working overseas has its benefits, the reality of life in a new country can be an emotional upheaval,” said Phil Austin, CEO Cigna Europe. “Working practices are different, not to mention the cultural, lifestyle and language changes, which can make coping with life’s challenges more difficult.
“Our findings show a deep insecurity about family health and wellbeing, coupled with social isolation and increasing loneliness, which is exacerbated by the loss of a support network. It’s imperative that employers pay attention to the needs of their globally mobile employees and, as a health partner, we remain committed as ever in delivering solutions to tackle this.”
As one of the world’s leading providers for globally mobile employees, Cigna is well placed to offer solutions, including the recently launched mobile health and wellbeing app, Cigna Wellbeing®.
Recognising the challenges employees and their families face in a new country, Cigna Wellbeing® provides real-time health and wellness coaching in multiple languages, together with 24/7 video and telephone consultations with doctors, nurses and healthcare specialists.
Benefits include access to the International Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) which provides a platform to speak about worries and concerns including practical advice on living abroad. Whilst the Chronic Condition Management Programme provides a dedicated nurse to ensure appropriate treatment and pathway, including coaching for physical and mental support.
Download Cigna Wellbeing® here: https://eu.cignaglobalhealth.com/cwa
 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
2 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
3 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
4 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
5 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
6 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
7 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
8 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey - Globally Mobile Individuals
- iPMI Magazine Speaks With Jerome Droesch, CEO, Cigna, MENA
- 16% Of People In The UK Waiting More Than 11 Days To See A GP
- Cigna Opens New Global Sales Centre For Global Individual Private Medical Insurance Business At Dubai International Financial Centre
- Cigna Commits To Global Mobile Employee Health With Launch Of Integrated Wellbeing App
- Cigna and CVS Health Launch Cigna Health Works
- Moving Abroad Boosts Expatriates' Health
- Alptis Assurances And MSH INTERNATIONAL Sign Exclusive Partnership Agreement For Distribution And Management Of Expatriate Healthcare Products
- Cigna Global Health Benefits® Deepens Partnership With The Hollard Insurance Group
- New Director Of Sales And Marketing Appointed To Allianz Worldwide Care
- Phil Austin heads Cigna's UK HealthCare Benefits business
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- CEGA Makes Senior Medical Appointment For New Spanish Office
- Horwich Farrelly And LV= Strike Further Blow To Fraudulent Claims Boss Who Is Jailed For Six Months
- First Stop Health Delivers Best Practices for High ROI Telemedicine
- Transactional Risk Insurance Use By Investors Reached Record Levels In 2018
- Collinson Enhances Global Medical Assistance Team With Key Appointments