There are currently two distinct Ebola outbreaks occurring. A new outbreak was declared in June as six new cases and four deaths were reported in the Wangata health zone, Mbandaka, in Equateur province.
The nation's tenth Ebola outbreak, affecting Ituri, North Kivu and South Kivu provinces with confirmed and/or probable infections [see map of affected areas], has been ongoing for nearly two years, since August 2018. No new cases from this outbreak have been reported in several weeks and more than a month went by case-free around March 2020. This outbreak was set to be declared over 12 April. However, a resurgence of cases occurred in Beni in early April.
Dr Irene Lai, medical director of information at International SOS commented, “Another outbreak of Ebola Equateur province is not unexpected. However, it is notable that it has occurred while the Ebola outbreak in North Kivu, which began over a year ago, continues to be considered be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, and during an unprecedented coronavirus pandemic. It is further evidence of the increasingly frequent nature of emerging “zoonotic” diseases. It also highlights that we must continue to monitor known health threats that have not diminished despite the enormity of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
For the latest information and advice, International SOS members are advised to contact their Assistance Centre, register for email alerts and review the updates on Travel Security Online and through the International SOS portal. We also advise clients and members to download the International SOS Assistance App, here.
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- Charles Taylor Launches Digital Tool To Manage Employees' Back-To-Work And Back-To-Travel Risk Assessments
- Universal Air Evac Acquire And Implement A Portable Negative Pressure Isolation Unit
- The COVID-19 Challenge: Delivering International Health And Medical Services During A Pandemic
- Generali Involves Over 30 Thousand People With The Human Safety Net’s Programs
- ROCK Insurance Group Launches New COVID-19 Travel Insurance And Cancellation Products To Travel Trade