Over 90% of travel insurance ‘cancellation’ claims are because of the death, serious injury or serious illness of the policyholder or their travel companion, family member or business associate. Jury service or court witness, burglary/serious damage to home and redundancy account for the remaining 10% of travel insurance cancellation claims.1 in 5 people purchase travel insurance ‘shortly’ before going on holiday.
According to the latest survey from travel insurance provider, Allianz Global Assistance UK, 1 in 5 purchase their holiday insurance less than a fortnight before they are due to set off. This could have disastrous consequences warns Allianz Global Assistance, as travel insurance is essential for protecting holiday makers from the unexpected ‘before’ a holiday, just as much as ‘during’ their holiday.
“Our survey shows that a significant number of people buy travel insurance at the last minute, or worse still, don’t bother at all. This leaves them exposed to all sorts of financial risks, including cancelling the holiday. If you book your holiday some months in advance of going away, and leave it to the last minute to purchase insurance, you run the risk of losing a significant proportion or all of the cost of the holiday if you have to unexpectedly cancel it,” explains Paul Doran, Head of Travel Operations at Allianz Global Assistance in the UK.
“Death, serious injury or illness of you, a loved one or someone associated to your travel plans, is the number one reason for people cancelling holidays, but if you purchase insurance at the time of booking your holiday your insurer will most likely reimburse your costs. We also urge travellers to make a full health declaration to their insurer immediately, to make sure they are covered for cancellation, as well as emergency medical treatment abroad,” continues Paul Doran.
Allianz Global Assistance goes on to advise that anyone buying insurance must declare all existing medical conditions and if they are unsure what to declare or the correct medical name for a condition, they should ask their GP. People must not make a declaration on behalf of a relative, unless they know all the details of their existing medical conditions.
Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance Tips
- Buy a travel insurance policy as soon as you book a trip.
- Make a full health declaration immediately to your insurer to make sure you are covered for cancellation as well as emergency medical treatment abroad.
- If you are unsure what medical conditions to declare or the correct medical name of your condition ask your GP.
- Don’t make a declaration on behalf of a relative unless you are absolutely sure you know all the details of their existing medical conditions.
- Remember to take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if travelling to Europe.
- Remember that an EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance.
- Don’t take the risk and travel without full travel insurance.
- Ensure you insurance adequately covers your holiday experience, such as golf, winter sports, water based or other activities.
Paul Doran concludes, “Our message to travellers is: don’t take a risk and travel without full cover. Medical expenses abroad, particularly in the USA, Caribbean, Mexico and parts of Asia, can be extremely expensive, costing more than an entire holiday. For no more than the cost of a family pack of sun tan lotion, holidaymakers can buy travel insurance, offering them protection and support in both the countdown to the holiday and when they are abroad.”
- iPMI Magazine Protects Business During COVID-19
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory May 2020
- APRIL International Care Scoops 3 New Awards
- PassportCard Launches International Health Insurance In Germany
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network Directory April 2020
- Managing International Medical Risks During A Global Pandemic
- iPMI Magazine Provider Network e-Directory March 2020: iPMI - Assistance - Air Ambulance - Funeral Directors - Cost Containment - Claims Management + MORE
- Driving Innovation In The Travel Insurance Sector With The Travel Health Calculator
- Pacific Prime Dubai Receives Cigna’s Individual Broker Of The Year 2019 Award
- Globality Health Withdraws From UK IPMI Market
Latest from iPMI Magazine
- Allianz Care Reports Up To 235% Year-On-Year Increase In Applications For International Health Insurance Policies
- ACC Aviation Partners With Air Ambulance Systems Specialist AeroMedical
- Aetna International Announces Partnership With Leading Mental Well-Being App Wysa, As Part Of Enhanced Mental Well-Being Support For Members During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty And Allianz Care Introduce Digital Health Services To Singapore-Based Customers
- Johan Forsgård To Take New Nordics Leadership Role At Willis Towers Watson